Radio Premium Exchange forum Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 02:57:02 AM
Radio Premium Exchange.com Home Classifieds Repro Alert Home Help Search Login Register

+  Radio Premium Exchange Forum
|-+  Premiums
| |-+  Radio and Early TV Premiums
| | |-+  Lone Ranger
| | | |-+  Why Clayton Moore was replaced by John Hart on the Lone Ranger TV show
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why Clayton Moore was replaced by John Hart on the Lone Ranger TV show  (Read 5604 times)
Larry Zdeb
Global Moderator

« on: January 17, 2011, 02:37:40 PM »

Here is a copy of a letter signed by George Trendle explaining why he replaced Clayton Moore with John Hart on the Lone Ranger television show.

"My dear Miss Wilson:

I very much appreciate your Christmas thoughts and you know how I feel about the same situation with regard to yourself.

I am delighted that the fan letters of criticism are dying out. I am enclosing one to you which came Friday. I think this is really worthwhile. I wrote the party there was no relationship between the two but that we thought Clayton Moore looked much too old in the part; that John Hart was a handsome young man who could do a far better job and we were glad that she agreed with us.

I am sure you will get a kick out of this letter because that really had something to do with our desire to change leads.

Sincerely, Geo. W. Trendle, President."

The letter was sent to "Evie" Wilson, in charge of the premium fulfillment department at General Mills.
"Evie" is still very much alive, a national treasure! I met her once at a Toledo Toy Show.

George Trendle was a tyrant who had to control EVERYTHING regarding his radio shows & premiums. But when corresponding with Evie, he was putty in her hands! A gentle kitten!

Mr. Trendle thought by putting a larger mask on the Lone Ranger that the public may not notice the change of actors. The public did not like John Hart as the Lone Ranger, so after one season, Clayton Moore was brought back as the LONE RANGER.

Regarding the John Hart picture, it was sent & personalized to me as a "thank you." I sent him a color Xerox copy of another 1952 letter from George Trendle discussing John Hart as the new Lone Ranger which he had framed.

* hart-loneranger.jpg (56.98 KB, 500x675 - viewed 366 times.)

* clayton moore signed photo.jpg (47.76 KB, 500x629 - viewed 379 times.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:36:41 AM by Larry Zdeb » Logged
dialturner

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »

When Clayton Moore was taken out of the show, it was in 1952.  He had been a trapeze artist and a movie stuntman at Republic before the Lone Ranger.  In fact, it was his potrayal as Zorro in a Republic serial that got him the role.  He was only around 42 at this time...born in 1914.  He also tried to sound like the radio Lone Ranger Brace Beemer in his voice inflections with the help of Fran Stryer, the series sscriptwrter.  I have heard that he wanted more money but in his book, he says he was content with the situation the way it was.  In any case, John Hart did not put the enthusiasm into the role that Moore, regardless of how big or small the mask was.  The kids had already made their choice. Trendle had no other recourse but to bring back Clayton Moore.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length