Radio Premium Exchange forum Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 05:09:59 AM
Radio Premium Exchange.com Home Classifieds Repro Alert Home Help Search Login Register

+  Radio Premium Exchange Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  OTR and Early TV Programs
| | |-+  INNER SANCTUM, radio's greatest thriller!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: INNER SANCTUM, radio's greatest thriller!  (Read 7052 times)
Larry Zdeb
Global Moderator

« on: July 27, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »

"Inner Sanctum Mysteries" was broadcast from New York on the NBC Blue Network, Saturday at 8:30, Eastern War Time. The first host of the show was Raymond Edward Johnson.                                              

The show was memorable for the sound effects prop of "The Creaking Door" heard at the beginning and end of the broadcast. "TUNE IN" magazine from June 1946 mentions, "The Inner Sanctum creaking door opens from top-to-bottom instead of sideways. It's easier for the sound man that way." When the show moved from NBC to CBS, a new door had to be constructed because the old door was the property of NBC. Inner Sanctum did not have a studio audience.                                           

In a wartime broadcast (the 7th War Loan was mentioned) a yet-to-be-discovered "medallion" premium was offered. The premium was a 1" solid sterling silver medallion with the inscription of "Good Luck" in Chinese on a black satin-rayon ribbon. Available from Lipton Tea, Box 92, New York City for 25 cents and a Lipton Tea box top. The medallion was a replica of one given to a downed American flyer in China rescued by the Chinese.                        
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:28:26 PM by Larry Zdeb » Logged
dialturner

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »

Re: the Creaking Door.  Producer Himan Brown got the idea of a creaking door sound effect from a studio door that led to the cellar. Each time, the door opened, it had a scary creak.  Brown said that he would make a star of that door.  I have heard the story that a rusty office chair was used for the sound effect.  Once, right before an Inner Sanctum broadcast, a new sound effects man came to Brown and said "I have fixed that door so it won't squeek anymore." Brown may have used the chair for that one time or a sound effect man may have done it orally.  Brown said that the creaking door and the NBC chimes were the only two sound effects that were ever copyrighted by the Library of Congress.  Inner Sanctum ran for a while on CBS on Monday nights at 8 p.m.  The sponsor was Bromo=Seltzer with the talking train effect.  This was probably the best sponsor for this type of program. Lipton Tea was kind of wimpy with Mary Bennett's cheerful hints of how to brew tea.  Because Lipton wanted their shows copyrighted, this is why you find more copies of these programs than the ones that were sponsored by other companies.  Bromo-Seltzer commercial copies are hard to find.  Many of these broadcasts were recopied by Armed Forces Network in the early Fifties and these are all that remain.
Chuck Ramsey

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »

Inner Sactum was creepy, all right.  I remember a broadcast - and I think it was Inner Sanctum, but I'm not sure - where a beautiful woman named Theda was always around when people were killed.  As the program progressed, various bodies started to pile up and Theda was always around for no apparent reason.  At the end of the program, the narrator of all the other murders finds he himself is dying and there's Theda again.  Turns out she tells him her name could also be used to spell Death.  Talk about a shocker.  At least it was to me.
dialturner

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »

That was the Mysterious Travelor program with Maurice Taurpin.  The episode was called "Lady in Black".  Yes the name "Theda" is an anagram for "death."  Think Theda Bara, the silent screen star, who actually was a small town girl from Ohio who had a great publicity agent.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length